Saturday, July 15, 2006

Randolph Lake Triathlon

If you find my triathlon race reports boring or tedious (as Lisa does), you can stop reading now and I won't be offended. 

Last weekend, I raced a sprint triathlon only 20 minutes away from our house.  The Randolph Lake Tri consisted of a 1/2 mile swim, 16.4 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  We had absolutely beautiful weather, if a little hot, and I had a little extra inspiration knowing that Lisa and the kids were actually going to be waiting for me at the finish.  For the swim, I elected to go without a wetsuit given that conditions were warm, and thinking that any time gained wearing the wetsuit could be lost taking it off.  I had a solid swim, coming out 16th overall.  The bike was very tough for a relatively short course, with several steep climbs.  I had a good ride, winding up with the 14th best split overall.  The run was pretty flat and there was a decent amount of shade.  I cruised into the finish with the 8th best run split.

Overall, I came in 9th out of 300 entrants, but only 3rd in the 40-44 age group.  Not only that, but one 40 year old was in the top 3 overall, meaning he didn't count in the age group standings.  Pretty impressive group of old guys -- four out of the top nine overall were 40-44!  Results from the race are here if you want to take a look.

No comments: