Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Porto Alegre, Brazil

I had an eventful trip last week to Porto Alegre, Brazil.  I had to go there on business, and the trip wound up being successful in that regard.  But the travel was very tough.  Here is a free travel tip:  Do not try to fly domestically within Brazil during an air traffic controller work slowdown.  The trip down was okay, relatively speaking.  My flight into Sao Paulo from Newark was on time.  The connecting flight from there to Porto Alegre was "only" delayed 2 1/2 hours.  This was within the expectations I had given the situation.  However, coming back (isn't it always coming home where the bad stuff happens?) was a different story.  My flight from Porto Alegre to Sao Paulo was delayed six hours, causing me to miss my connection back to Newark.  I was very fortunate to find some really helpful Continental agents at 11pm that night, who were able to rebook me on a Delta flight that went through Atlanta.  I finally rolled up to our house at about 4:30 pm, more than 24 hours after starting my journey home.

Anyway, back to the positive.  I got to see some of the sights in Porto Alegre, which is the capital of the southernmost state in Brazil, called Rio Grande do Sul.  I took a few pictures, which you can see here.

No comments: