Tuesday, January 19, 2010

St. Lucia


For our 20th Anniversary, Lisa and I spent a perfect five days on the exquisite island of St. Lucia. St. Lucia is in the southeastern Carribbean, just to the west of Barbados. It is perhaps most identified with the striking Piton Mountains (see picture above). There is a lot to do on the island for the adventuresome (or energetic), including things like mountain biking or zip lining through rain forests, hiking or mountain climbing. However, true to form for us, Lisa and I chose to lie on the beach basically the entire time.

We stayed at the beautiful and remote Ti-Kaye Village, a collection of about 30 cottages set on a cliff overlooking the Carribbean. Here's a shot of Ti-Kaye from the beach:


When you go to Ti-Kaye, your are really getting away from it all. It is located by itself on the Anse Cochon, about one mile off the "main road", and several miles from the nearest town. The Anse Cochon is considered one of the best snorkeling and diving spots in all of St. Lucia. Spectacular coral reefs abound all around the cove, and as a bonus, there is a sunken ship about 1/2 mile from shore that is another great diving spot. I literally spent hours snorkeling, exploring until I was too worn out to keep going. Along the way I saw all kinds of coral and tropical fish of every color and combination of colors. But best of all was the sea turtle spotted twice near the sunken ship.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. For highlights of the trip, check out the pictures here (I promise I was judicious - I think the album has about 25 pictures). Again make sure to use full screen view so you can see the captions.

Finally, Lisa and I are eternally grateful to Mamere and Pops for staying with the kids back in frigid New Jersey, and making the whole thing possible!

No comments: